[thelist] Non-Js versions of JS enabled apps (was: Questinging JS was "AJAX Calls Working Intermittently inIE")

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:02:16 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz>
wrote:

> I agree with you on the pain-in-the-butt comment. It does suck to build 2
> versions of an application.

Actually you need not, if you carefully architect the application from the
beginning.

That is what "graceful degredation" is for.

   1. First, build an old-fashioned website that uses hyperlinks and
   forms to pass information to the server. The server returns whole new pages
   with each request.
   2. Now, use JavaScript to intercept those links and form submissions
   and pass the information via XMLHttpRequest instead. You can then
   select which parts of the page need to be updated instead of updating the
   whole page.

Yeah, I agree that it is some extra work. But first, the effort pays off
well. And second, it is as time-consuming as you might think if you
carefully plan ahead.

[1] "hijax"
http://domscripting.com/blog/display/41

[2] "Ajaxian: hijax -- graceful degradation"
http://ajaxian.com/archives/hijax-graceful-degration

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik