[thelist] pre-project planning

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Thu Mar 20 14:57:28 CDT 2008

grr, hope this email software works this time ;-)
On Thursday 20 March 2008 10:27:50 we wrote:
> On 3/20/08, r937 <rudy at r937.com> wrote:
> > > I'm about embark on a project that's going to require me
> >  > to cycle through 5 to 10 text files, massage the data a bit,
> >  > and then import them into a database.
> >
> >  that's it?  the project involves just loading data into a mysql
> > database?

exactly, need more info...

> >  use the LOAD DATA INFILE command
> >  vwalah!
> >  take the rest of the week off

lol, rest of the syntax (tabs are ok) here for MySQL:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/load-data.html

> ........ the point is that you ought to be asking
> a lot of questions about the format/quality of the data, because you
> can end up blowing your time

Don't think this can be stressed too much.

There are GUI tools to assist in ensuring referential integrity etc. before
you execute LOAD DATA INFILE:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html
--
cheers,