[thelist] pre-project planning

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 04:16:21 CDT 2008

On 20 Mar 2008, at 17:27, Matt Warden wrote:

> Pssha! Typical database guy.

hehe

> I'm currently on an 18 month ETL project, and "just load this data"
> can hide a whole crapload of complexities.

Yep. Which is why we pay *huge* daily rates for Informatica and
AbInitio contractors. You get the choice - absurdly hard doing it
manually, or absurdly expensive for people with the ETL tool experience.

And you don't even want to *know* about the difficulty we have finding
good Websphere people[1]. Or Control-M (which I'm still convinced is
not much more than a pretty front end to cron :-) )

Cheers
Martin
[1] and remember who my employer is. Even *we* go to the sodding
contract market. I'm tellin' ya - learn Websphere, be able to
communicate at a near-human level and you're gravy