[thelist] Joomla/iFrame question

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Fri Mar 21 15:31:35 CDT 2008

Hi all. Hoping there might be some people who have had some decent experience with Joomla who may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a Joomla 1.5 site for a non-profit set up and running. I am attempting to integrate Pommo, an open source php/mySql based mailing list application, into the site.

I'm using Joomla's wrapper functionality to pull in the subscriber pages via iFrames. That works fine. Part of Pommo's functionality includes sending an email verification to a user when they sign up or want to change their information after signing up. A link is embedded in the email which includes variables in the following format:

http://siteurl.com?email=xxx@xxx.com&code=12345

I've changed the url so that it points to the appropriate page within Joomla which calls the iFrame page. My problem is in trying to pass those variables from the URL string to the iFrame. Currently, the iFrame just ignores them and loads the default page.

I've tried modifying the URL that Joomla uses to load the iFrame as below:

http://siteurl/user/update.php?<?php echo $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] ?>

and

http://siteurl/user/update.php?<?php echo $_GET['email']?>&<?php echo $_GET['code']?>

Neither seems to pass the variables on to the iFrame.

Within Joomla, there is no way to add custom code on the page calling the iFrame, so I can't embed any javascript or PHP code to pass those vars to the iFrame.

Am I just not doing things correctly in the URL string? Is there some better way of doing this? I've googled this to death and most everything references embedding javascript or a hidden form to pass the vars on to the iFrame, which isn't an option for me.

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron Pringle
Web Developer
City of Aurora