[thelist] Why Does SpamAssassin Hate America? (Or at least just me?)

JS Bracher JSB at DifferentPaths.net
Thu Apr 3 16:31:39 CDT 2008

I concede that you know more about this than I do.

That said, while mostly spam filters seem to work, I have an ongoing
problem with a friend who can't get email from some others (including
me) because the people who "protect" his server are more concerned with
reducing email load than enabling communication.

I also hear about troubles with black lists, and see problems with
people not configuring white and black lists effectively.

And spam continues.  And continues to morph.

So, in a world where even some techies are fed up, how do you
communicate effective means of blocking spam?  What is the difference
between statistically based filtering vs. heuristics?  And how do I do
the later and avoid the former?

More importantly, how do I pass this along to others in a way that it
rises above the noise of everything else we should be doing?