[thelist] javascript numbers with decimals

Daniel Kessler danielk at umd.edu
Tue May 6 08:26:45 CDT 2008

I'm trying to ensure that all characters entered into a field are
numbers AND/OR a decimal.  Valid entries are similar to: 521,
521.44, .44, 521.4    Invalid entries would be: $521, 52o
I'm working from code that works in another library and I have it
removing all numbers, but it won't allow a decimal.  I'd like to
understand what the code is doing and how to also allow a decimal.
Here's the code that I have so far:

regEx = /\D/g; // String to remove any characters that are not numbers
filteredField=field.value.replace(regEx,"") // text field numeric
characters only

Clearly I need to update the first line to include the decimal, but
haven't yet figured out how.  I'll keep on it.

Oh, and please cc me with any replies as I get these postings digest.

thank you.

--

Daniel Kessler

University of Maryland College Park