[thelist] Easy CSS wrap question (I think)

Jeffrey Barke jeffrey.barke at themechanism.com
Fri May 9 19:27:42 CDT 2008

> The left-hand menu is floated (my style sheet is at
> http://www.calwater.com/dac_test/layout.css), but I don't want content
> in the main area to wrap under the left-hand menu. BTW, I used float
> for
> the menu because I want the main content area to resize with the
> document window, and am not sure how to do that with absolute
> positioning,

Check out <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail>:

In Search of the Holy Grail
by Matthew Levine

"I’m sorry. Really. I didn’t name it. I don’t mean to overstate its
importance or trivialize the other and rather weightier Holy Grails.

"But the name’s out there, and we all know what it means.

"Three columns. One fixed-width sidebar for your navigation, another
for, say, your Google Ads or your Flickr photos—and, as in a fancy
truffle, a liquid center for the real substance. Its wide
applicability in this golden age of blogging, along with its
considerable difficulty, is what has earned the layout the title of
Holy Grail."

Jeffrey

—
Jeffrey Barke
Senior developer / information architect
theMechanism
New York
440 9th Avenue
8th Floor
New York, NY 10001-1631
e:	jeffrey.barke at theMechanism.com
w:	http://theMechanism.com
t:	+1 212 404 3150
f:	+1 212 404 3228

—

theMechanism is a multi-disciplinary design agency with offices in New
York, London and Durban, South Africa.