[thelist] Developing in Linux

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:58:45 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: I do know how to use the command line and the command 'mysql' works
> the same ...

Respectfully -- you know what the command line is, and you know
that you can type commands into it.  But the above comment shows
that you do /not/ know how to /use/ it to your advantage. Typing a
single command is not a demonstration of anything but the ability
to spell and push keys.

And to suggest that the (DOS) "CMD" shell is remotely comparable
to any of sh/ksh/bash/csh/tcsh betrays a complete lack of familiarity
and understanding of what you could be doing.

> I find a GUI to be a LOT easier (and faster for me) to use,

What do you do when there's no GUI tool to do what you need to do?
Some custom processing of 15k files, for instance? That's when the
power of a good shell comes into play: piping commands together,
writing a quick bash script, whatever.

Or even when there /is/ a tool -- it takes a couple of seconds to resize
an image from the command line with ImageMagick; compare that to
the time to start up Photoshop or comparable  to do the same action.

But sticking with Windows is OK, because 1) there is a learning curve,
and 2) if you're always looking for GUI tools to accomplish anything,
you'll never get far on that curve.

Best of luck whichever way you go :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com