[thelist] Developing in Linux

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:54:16 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will point out that many of us remember when there was virtually no
> such thing as a GUI for reading mail in Unix, I being one of them.

The point to make here is that it's not either/or -- GUI/CLI. In Windows
you have a GUI and a crippled, er, sorry, feature-challenged "CMD"
"shell"; in *nix you have a GUI and your choice of built-in powerful
shells with many, many utilities (e.g. find, grep, sed). But of course
there are useful GUI tools for many tasks as well -- your choice.

> Looks like Linux wants me I guess. LOL.

> I wouldn't normally take so much bandwidth with an issue that is
> somewhat relevant only personally, but anyway thelist is fairly quiet today.

I think a discussion of developer tools isn't too OT :-)

> I just wanted to add that it's not as though I can't work on Ubuntu, it
> just seems that several tools are better on Windows.

I'd second the suggestion of jEdit for a text editor, and if you're still
having trouble opening large files, either join the jEdit user mailing
list or ping me off-list.

Have fun :-)
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com