[thelist] Developing in Linux

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu May 15 01:20:26 CDT 2008

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Fred Jones wrote:
>
>>> I've been using Linux (RH/Fedora/CentOS mainly) as a primary desktop for 8
>>> years or so. I try to avoid the holy wars, but I think there is no comparison
>>> with the 'other' more common desktop. KDE feels like a professional finished
>>> product, and has some very cool apps that actually work. So my advice would
>>> be, if you tried a Gnome desktop and didn't like it, give KDE a try before
>>> giving up (Kubuntu is a good option).
>>>

>> I was thinking of that actually.
>>

> Kubuntu, after I tried to recommend to a non-techie friend, tends to
> have more problem than my second recommendataion: OpenSuSE with KDE. It
> seems even OpenSuSE+Gnome is not better than Ubuntu, OpenSuSE+KDE
> surpass Kubuntu. Not sure (since he only tried Kubuntu for 1.5 months),
> but feels like that.

Oh but be warned, he is non-techie, means he do not use anything other
than the standard tools: OpenOffice, email software Thunderbird. If you
are good at looking for tools you will find a lot tools that doesn't
sits in SuSE repository. Their software repository is much smaller than
Ubuntu's.

--
Real Softservice

Huateng Tower, Unit 1788