[thelist] load testing tools and concurrency

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Fri May 16 12:26:26 CDT 2008

Well offhand, based on what you've seen with the timeouts and
concurrent reads that you have a race condition or a mutex in there
that is blocking concurrent access. Time for a code review.

I don't know if there is a profiler available for python, but that
would be another place I'd go.

JMeter may not be an ideal tool if all you need to do is hit the
server with some concurrent requests. It is really suited for setting
up a controllable load.

In general, you can get some useful data simply by applying any old
load to the app. However if you want to get really useful data out of
the tests, you need to figure out how to generate realistic load.
First step is to take a look at what the real world usage patterns
are...what do the users do when they use the app? Pick several of the
most common ones, and figure out how to get JMeter to replicate those
actions as closely as possible.

Then you can figure out how many of those actions to apply per unit
time to simulate a given number of users.

 From there it gets complicated.  :-)

-Pete