[thelist] Website Hacked?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed May 28 19:28:05 CDT 2008

The answer to your question is *not* to build queries yourself.

Use whatever parametised query interfaces are available for your programming environment.

For example, if you are using ASP/ADO, then you can use ADO Command objects (and append parameters)

If you are using ASP.NET/ADO.NET then you have parametised query support (for inline queries, or stored procedures). Use the appropriate sqlCommand or OleDbCOmmand object.

If you are using something else, then consult the list.

This is a 100% fool proof way of avoiding SQL injection attack if you use it everywhere, because unless the API programmer made a mistake writing their SQL parser, you're not vulnerable. And my bet is that DBMS programmers write much better SQL parsers than most of us ever will.

Cheers
Ken