[thelist] Save Page As...

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Thu May 29 13:27:38 CDT 2008

Hi Bill,

> We have a few users that like to save the output from a page
> and then email it.  We are not allowed to actually facilitate
> the process of emailing in this case, so only concerned with
> saving the page to disk.
>
> My preference, in general, is to let the user's browser take
> care of saving pages in a form usable for viewing locally.
> Although, I don't think Firefox does a good job of saving
> background images, IIRC.
>
> But, it's looking like we may need a "download this page"
> link to provide a similar, but with fewer features from the
> on-line version.
>

> My question is what format to use for the "download" version?
>

> I know IE allows saving in "MHTML" format (an
> multipart/related MIME formatted file).  But, I'm not sure
> how portable that file will be.
>
> Obviously, I need to include images, so if they are not
> somehow included in the "download" then they need to be
> linked to the server to fetch them remotely.  (Means I need
> to be careful about relative links to background images.)
>
> So, if I need to have links back to the server for the
> images, is there any reason not to do the same with the css
> instead of in-lining the css?
>
> Will the javascript need in-lining regardless?

If you're looking to give them a snapshot of the page, without worrying
about any JS, image links, navigation etc. that the original might have
had, you could turn it into a PDF using something like ABCpdf? (
http://www.websupergoo.com/ )

Code examples for how to turn an HTML page into a PDF document with
ABCpdf here:
http://www.websupergoo.com/helppdf6net/source/4-examples/13-pagedhtml.ht

Jason