[thelist] upload webcam images securely.

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:23:26 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:39:38AM -0500, Eduardo Kienetz wrote:

>> > Not on the website's machine -- it's hosted on their ISP.
>>
>> Do you have a Linux machine (with shell access) in the same network as
>> this Windows machine?
>
> Hard to put every detail in the original message.  The Windows
> machine is not on a local LAN -- it's just on a DSL modem off a phone
> line at a marina (the camera will look out at the docks and water).
>
>> Then, if you really want a more secure option, I would pull the
>> Windows machine image files to this Linux machine, and then this one
>> sends to the hosting company.
>
> I recommended a while back that they use Linux on this machine -- it's
> basically used for some small accounting and web access, IIRC.  They
> have had to reinstall a few times due to viruses.  Even with Linux,
> though, there's physical access so I would not consider it secure.

Then I would set up a VPN (using OpenVPN) from that Windows machine to
a remote machine of yours, and once that's up you'd be able to access
the remote Windows machine as if it was in your LAN, thus enabling you
to pull (smbclient, supposing your machine is a linux one) its data
and handle it securely.

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz