[thelist] uncached page load time

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:43:45 CDT 2008

Ken Snyder wrote:
> Bob Meetin wrote:

>> Websiteoptimization.com says for a 1.44mbps network connection the page
>> should load in about 5 seconds.
>>
>> So a few questions.
>>
>> 1) I'm consistently seeing a 9 second average.  Any suggestions why the
>> variance?  I have tested 2 different actiontec modems and the results
>> are similar.
>>
>> 2) In the world of broadband, what is reasonable, acceptable these days
>> in terms of load time?
>>
>> 3) Do others target download time or page size?

Most survey results are pointless. 3 out of 5 people know that.

The most important is to target the perceived performance as much as the
real performance. Most of what makes web sites appear slow is really
happening on the client, so make sure you check how many images, style
sheets and script includes your page has and try to cut down on those as
much as possible.

As others mentioned ySlow is a great tool to check your site for
bottle-necks and there is a filter-able information site available at:
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/

HTH
Chris