[thelist] setting the home page on your browser

Chris Anderson Chris at activeide.com
Mon Jul 14 17:32:07 CDT 2008

> Can someone point me to a reference for this, or better yet, give me
> some
> reasons why I should tell my client this is a bad idea.

Solutions will probably be browser(and possibly version)-specific -
meaning you having to research and develop a solution for each browser,
version, OS there is. (i.e. higher costs than normal)

Solutions you do find and implement will rarely work anyway as most
browsers that allow this sort of behaviour (adding bookmarks, etc) also
first ask the user if that's what they want. The user then just sees the
site as rude and very probably a phishing or adware site and so will not
only stop the homepage being set, but will never visit it again (which
is quite the reverse of the client's wishes I'm sure)

If they want to do *something* allow them to add a bookmark based on a
user's input (i.e. not during load or anything underhanded like that)