[thelist] GoDaddy SSL Verification

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 06:17:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Nan Harbison wrote:
> I get the warning too, that the page contains unauthenticated content, so
> the godaddy tech person was not correct!

Hmm. On my FF2 and also IE6 I now don't get an unauthenticated or
unverified content issue, so that's good. But I do get:

This page contains both secure and insecure items.

which I think may be due to image references not using https:// but
I'm not sure.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Ken Schaefer wrote:
>> Can you verify this for me?
>
> You can't install FF2 in a VM somewhere and test this yourself? Sorry, but this is starting to take the p*ss

I'm sorry that my post upset you Ken. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I
thought the point of this list was to allow people to ask for
assistance with issues just like this one. I actually DID test myself
on my FF2 but I wanted to see if anyone else is seeing different
results. If this thread is unpleasant for you, then perhaps it would
be best just not to respond.

> FWIW, FF2 not reporting any more problems, so I think the problem is solved.

Well, if you read the post before and after yours, it actually appears
that the problem is not 100% solved. Both those posters report that
there IS still a problem. Again, this is what I thought this list was
for--so that people can share their resources (including different
OS's and browsers etc.) together--it turns out that people ARE seeing
different results.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Barry Woolgar wrote:
> I just had a look in Opera 9.51 and it fails to show as secure, with the
> message:
>
> "The server attempted to apply security measures, but failed"
>
> If its useful, the encryption protocol used is TLS v1.0 256 bit AES (1024
> bit DHE_RSA/SHA). I mention this because Opera allows you to change which
> protocol it will try to use for SSL, so mine might be using a different
> protocol (with different requirements on the server) than a standard
> install. Or whatever FF uses.

Hmm, that is a bit beyond my knowledge of SSL technology. To be
honest, I do not expect much traffic from Opera users on this site.
Perhaps I am wrong, however.

Seems that the jury is still out, but that it's working much better anyhow. :)

Fred