[thelist] publishing pics of vehicles - permission/protocol

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Sat Jul 26 09:29:02 CDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Bob Meetin wrote:
> I have a customer who wants to me to set up
> an eCommerce site and train one of his staff to grab pictures of the
> widgets they plan to sell off manufacturer sites.  I heard the 'not
> necessarily' part and I agree.  He has seen others do the same thing
> without permission, is quite willing to sign a waiver to release me of
> any liability (for training them).  Ethically it is a bit of a
> dilemma.

If the customer is willing to take responsibility (and potentially,
the heat) I wouldn't worry about the ethics.  If it bothers the auto
manufacturers (or whomever) they will respond as needed.  It's part of
doing business, and their response to such, if any, is probably
boilerplate by now.

If they don't care, then there's no issue.

To me using a manufacturer's photo to sell that same manufacturer's
product is a lot like driving 58 in a 55 zone.  Yeah, you technically
shouldn't, and technically you might get busted; but it harms no one
and lots of people do it.  Just my 2 bits.  IANAL, etc.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>