[thelist] form not getting submitted to email, only sporadically

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Aug 4 16:51:36 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 05:21:25PM -0400, Nan Harbison wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So this is a weird thing. I created a bunch of forms for a website, that
> just get emailed to the company here is one:
>
> http://www.northbridgeins.com/certificate.php
>
> I am using PHPMailer class to send the email. It worked perfectly when I
> created it, and when I go and fill out this form NOW to test it now, it
> still works.
> But people call this company and tell them they submitted the form, and it
> never gets to the company. Then my contact at this company filled it out
> herself and she didn't get it. I made the form as user friendly as possible,
> no fields are required. The company thought they could just contact the
> person if they didn't get all the info they needed.

does PHPMailer class use SMTP directly to the remove machine or to a
local SMTP server?

The answer to this problem is logging, of course.  You log when the
form is submitted.  You send the message to a local MTA and log that
event.  You application always tests for failure on your system calls.
The MTA has logs that will show it accepting or rejecting the email,
and it will have logs that the mail was delivered.

Or better, your web app writes the request to the db and then a
separate job handle creating the mail and sending it to the local MTA.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt