[thelist] social media sites

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Aug 18 17:56:25 CDT 2008

Robin Hastings wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
>
>> i'm taking a straw poll. what are your general feelings about the following:
>>
>> * facebook
>> * linkedin
>> * twitter
>> * bebo
>> * plaxo pulse
>> * digg
>> * stumbleupon
>> * youtube
>> * myspace
>> * nowpublic.com
>> * newsvine.com
>>
>> i'm putting together a data sheet for myself with some general
>> recommendations for clients.  what is conspicuously missing from the
>> list?  what other sites would be good for getting website feedback/review?
>>
>> -bob
>>

> Flickr! I've been going around the world talking about the use of
> these various sites - and I just finished a 4-day workshop that covers
> some of what you have listed, plus quite a bit more. The workshop
> "materials" are at http://becoming20.pbwiki.com - including the slides
> that we used for each day's lessons. Feel free to troll through those
> to get ideas on how libraries are using these things - and adapt that
> to your business clients. I certainly take materials aimed toward
> business use of social media and adapt it to libraries!!

I took a look at the powerpoint.  That really was a lot of work.  I
appreciate the link.  I also appreciate both positive and negative
feedback from all who responded so far.  I missed craigslist.org;
although not originally designed as a social media site, for other
reasons, I should have put it on the list.  reddit was on my original
list, but failed in the transfer to my email.

What is the craze about Flickr?  Is it because it's a super facilitator
or other?

 -Bob