[thelist] Anyone tried Magento?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Aug 18 18:07:18 CDT 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:

> Stuart Young wrote:
>> Hi evolters,
>>
>> Has anyone tried sexy new open source e-commerce engine Magento?
>> http://www.magentocommerce.com/
>>
>> I searched and there have only been a couple of mentions on thelist
>> about
>> it, but both of them were "I haven't tried it" mentions.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
> http://dottedi.biz/magento/index.php/
>
> Just to see, I downloaded the latest (now apparently not latest any
> more) version last week and installed it with sample data. Some
> molecules are awry as in selecting some of the pages I'm getting
> memory errors. Select the Sony VAIO under Best Selling Products.
> Googling the error suggests PHP adjusting the memory limits in the
> .htaccess or perhaps php.ini. Upping the limit in the .htaccess has no
> effect. So I passed this information along to the hostgator staff with
> the hope that their kind staff is having a boring Monday and need a
> break.
>
> The error you ask? Something like:
>
> *Fatal error*: Out of memory (allocated 17825792) (tried to allocate
> 4400 bytes) in
> */home/my_site/public_html/magento/lib/Varien/Image/Adapter/Gd2.php*
> on line *36
> *
> -Bob
Well well - magically the demo install of Magento eCommerce has righted
itself.  I submitted a support request to hostgator.  They suggested it
might have been a problem with GD and some large images which came with
the demo store, but didn't indicate that they changed/fixed anything in
PHP.ini or other.  The demo looks fine, looks versatile.  If so, then so
sweet.  Zen-cart has some great functionality but it takes substantial
learning curve to customize the look/feel.

Comments on the demo store? It is not exactly light... maybe the default
store images are overboard.  Or any live installs you've come across? -Bob