[thelist] Intranet cms recommendations

Mark MacInnes mark.macinnes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 03:19:39 CDT 2008

I've only had proper experience using Joomla, and this was several months
ago so things may have changed now. My experiences were that Joomla is a
very comprehensive system and the core functionality is done very well.
Templating the core functionality is relatively straightforward. The
difficulties arise when you start using community generated
plugins/components to extend Joomla. In most off the plugins/components that
I used, the HTML was entwined with the PHP code. This made is extremely
difficult and time consuming to style and design the site the way we wanted.
It also made it difficult to customise. Joomla also has a significant
learning curve to get to a proficient level. But then I think that is the
same with just about every decent quality CMS anyway.

I think Joomla pretty much matches your requirements, although instead of
vendor/company support it is community support. Plus, there are lots and
lots of tutorials and books about Joomla. It all depends if you intend to
use plugins/components to extend it, as I think that is where it could all
fall down.

Cheers,
Mark