[thelist] Intranet cms recommendations

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Aug 19 03:30:13 CDT 2008

<8E2CD8C7-55C0-4C24-9B97-D81D4EFF7238 at striderweb.com> <4FE55112B64A5B479A534E3A6A9B344C1AEC0AFF8D at exchmb3.net.ad.wcc.govt.nz>

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:53:40 +1200, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz>
wrote:
> What I haven't been impressed with is the templating. In my experience,
> the templates are clunky, a bit counterintuitive and difficult to work
> with, and the software isn't as flexible as a publishing system like
> Expression Engine. Wordpress has some definite pluses, but still feels
like
> it wants to be a blog no matter what you do to it.

I once in essence wrote a theme engine within a WordPress theme because it
was too rigid. I agree with you that WordPress is a blog, not a CMS.

Personally I've used Drupal quite extensively. It's a real breeze to
implement, and very little hassle to upgrade between versions. There is a
huge selection of modules and the themes are fairly flexible and relatively
easy to implement.

>From my friends who have had to deal with Joomla, they all have recommended
I steer clear of it. They say it's clunky, difficult to admin, and a pain
to move if you need to, since all the paths are absolute (Drupal's are
relative).

That said and done, I'm not sure if Drupal is your best bet for an
Intranet. Have you thought about a wiki? MediaWiki is very easy to install,
and might suit you better than a CMS.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/