[thelist] A (simple?) HTML question...

Duncan Hill dunkaz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 13:56:00 CDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:29:54 +0100, Kevin Timmins
<kipper_timmins at live.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>> From my understanding of it both are fine and should validate with the
>> w3c
> standards,
> personally i would go with a, because it just seems clearer to me, also
> from
> the point of view of search engines, they will see that the link is a
> heading because it will read the heading first. I might be completely
> wrong,
> but thats my 2c
> as long as you dont do <h2><a href="url>heading</h2></a> then it doesnt
> really matter i dont think.
> of course if you are using css then you might want to build a style that
> you
> can build into the link,
> that way, your style HL2, short for header link 2 can be different from
> unlined headers should you wish it to be.
> ps, i think you can use css and class' like that.
> hope this helps
> Kipper

It has already been noted that the syntax used for A. matches the correct
recommendation.

If you use 'styling' to represent the heading by creating a class HL2, you
have immediately thrown away any benefit to a search engine or assisitive
technology to indicate that this text has special meaning.
Use the correct H2 or indeed Hx tag to create your headings in a semantic
way and then set the styling in an appropriate way using correct CSS
selectors.

<h2> to a screen reader or a search engine is a level 2 heading within the
document, it will display by default as a heading in any browser or
reader, with or without CSS.

class="HL2" is comparatively meaningless, and is nothing more than a
styled piece of text, that will revert to the default font if CSS is
disabled or not available.

For example the H2 in a heading div can be styled by simply applying your
declarations to
#heading h2{ .....
any of the other types of descendant or child etc. selectors can then be
used without any additional markup.
You can happily create dozens of h2 styles if required providing you
target accurately with your selectors.

Duncan