[thelist] PHP, ASP.net, AJAX

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Aug 20 08:46:03 CDT 2008

> On 19 Aug 2008, at 11:55, Kevin Timmins wrote:
>
>> / one thing I want to apply this to is my CMS that I am planning on
> />/ building
> /
> Yeah, about that.
>
> These days, there are many very competent CMSs out there. The reasons
> to add to them are few, and generally boil down to:
> 1) Self-education
> 2) Vanity
>
> Not saying that either of those are bad/invalid reasons, but the days
> of *having* to custom-code a publishing system[1] are a long-time gone.
>
> Cheers
> Martin
> [1] In those days, licensing Allaire Spectra at £70k a server was
> considered *cheap*.

-->> Although the gap is narrowing there are other reasons for writing
(agreed - yes not having to write) your own CMS-wannabe

1) simplicity
2) learning curve
3) control - it's far easier to control built in searches with
customized functions as well as meta data (in header) if you roll your own
4) theming
5) site speed