[thelist] PHP, ASP.net, AJAX

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 17:28:38 CDT 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 14:46, Bob Meetin wrote:

> -->> Although the gap is narrowing there are other reasons for writing
> (agreed - yes not having to write) your own CMS-wannabe
>
> 1) simplicity
> 2) learning curve
> 3) control - it's far easier to control built in searches with
> customized functions as well as meta data (in header) if you roll
> your own
> 4) theming
> 5) site speed

Generally, I'd suggest that all those points argue in the opposite
direction.

Maybe 5 full releases in, with the help of a bunch of other smart
people, you'll get the maturity of system that would rival those
already out there for all the above, but to get there quickly? It
would be an inordinate stroke of luck and/or genius.

Cheers
Martin