[thelist] IE8 and Opera rendering of BUTTON

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 08:22:43 CDT 2008

Stephen Rider wrote:
> A bit of a kludge, but you might use JavaScript to determine the
> height of the button, then set a negative margin or half that
> amount.

Not really preferred...

I noticed that IE8b2 does it right when the "Compatibility View" is
activated, so I tried adding <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=7" />, which works by disabling that feature so IE8 won't allow
IE8-style rendering, and forces IE7-mode.

But that leaves Opera, which only a very low amount of visitors use anyway,
but unfortunately, our customer uses Opera, so I can't ignore it.

Your tip did give me an idea though. Since I'm already using the Prototype
library for some JS-work, I could probably use it to nudge it to the right
place. Any way to target *only* Opera?

Rick.