[thelist] Including file using $page

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Sep 1 15:27:18 CDT 2008

<http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.get.php>

> And is this the best way to achieve this?  Any help is appreciated!

Not really. This opens you up to security attacks. You'll want to first
sanitise your input before handing it to your include.

What you might want to do in addition to that sanitising, is to use Apache's
URL rewriting to achieve a site that looks like:

http://www.somesite.com/about.html

But actually runs:

http://www.somesite.com/index.php?page=about

This is really only security by obscurity from a security point of view (which
is bad), but it does generate nice clean urls that are both search engine and
people friendly.

You can find out more about URL rewriting on Apache's site:

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html>

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za