[thelist] Inexpensive computer to be used for web conferencing class.

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:04:57 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Andrew Kuhry-Haeuser <rewdand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am soon to be teaching a web conferencing class using WiZiQ.  The problem is that I do not own my own computer and I can't afford much.  I need something from which I will be able to teach the class, that will not cause the audio or video to work at less than an optimal level and will be able to support the use of a web cam and microphone and speaker.  I need a computer that will be capable of doing these things fast.  I don't need it to be able to do much else.

> Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yes -- don't be so freakin' vague :-)

"can't afford much" -- what's your actual price range? And where
are you located geographically?

"audio or video to work at less than an optimal level" -- what the heck
does that mean? What's "optimal" for whatever you're doing?

"doing these things fast" -- ditto.

You can get a new ASUS eee pc for $399; I have one but haven't tried
it with an external monitor yet, not sure what resolution it supports, but
it comes with a built-in camera (which I also haven't used).

Alternatively you can look on CraigsList for a used computer. I found
a nice year-old MacBookPro a few months ago for my wife for $800
(San Jose, California). You could probably find something adequate
to your needs for less...

If you don't need a laptop, you can get a remarkably capable tower
system for a couple hundred dollars at Fry's (not including monitor,
but flat panels are cheap now as well).

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com