[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 18:30:58 CDT 2008

On 12 Sep 2008, at 14:22, Zachary Kent wrote:

> I see that your site/blog
> is running on Drupal.  What made you chose that CMS over the others?

1) Relatively performant (I was moving off of Plone, which is high
functionality, but needs real server grunt)

2) Standard db model (also a problem with Plone - data migration is a
bitch)

3) Vibrant developer community for 3rd party modules, and availability
of modules for the functionality I needed

4) Relatively easy theming for the kind of site I wanted

5) Flexibility of URL schema - Joomla at the time forced you into
particular ways and multiple clickthroughs. It may still.

6) I'd played with it in the redev of evolt.org and just plain got on
with it.

7) Recommendations from people I trust (garrettc, genghis amongst
others)

Cheers
Martin