[thelist] Good US registrar?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Sep 18 13:09:26 CDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Jeremy Weiss wrote:

>> Okay, since so many say that GoDaddy is evil,
>
> You know, I've heard this for years but I've never had any issues with
> GoDaddy. Can someone enlighten me as to what I should be watching out
> for?

I was hearing it from the "Best Reseller Host" thread earlier this
week (on this list).

One of those emails pointed to <http://www.nodaddy.com/>, which
certainly has some horror stories, such as nasty tactics GoDaddy uses
to lock you in.  Example:

"GoDaddy may delete your domain if you don't keep your whois
information up-to-date. But whenever you update the information, a
checkbox pops up saying "For security purposes I authorize the
rejection of all transfer requests for all selected domain names for a
period of 60 days...". If you don't check that box, GoDaddy won't let
you update your contact information. And if you do check the box,
GoDaddy refuses to let you transfer the domain because they claim you
"expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means" to the
transfer."

Also stories of GD losing domains -- i.e. selling someone's domain to
somebody else.

Again, I've never had a problem with them, but I've never done
anything other than register domains.  I will say that their
registration process has become a minefield of "add X to your cart!"
buttons, with the "no thanks -- just continue" button in tiny print at
the bottom....  This to me doesn't bode well for the integrity of the
company.

Stephen