[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 01:56:21 CDT 2008

> I don't know about that.  I just left a company where they developed
> an in-house CMS and they were selling websites with their CMS
> installed for 4-7K depending on the features they wanted.   He
> couldn't sell them fast enough.  To me that's not bad money.

We call that good money where I'm from actually. My guess is that
either they have good connections, good marketing or both. I lack both
and that's my main problem in this business actually. :(

> If you haven't spent much time with Drupal over the last few years, I really
> think it's worth a look.  Might want to see if you can have a peek at Pro
> Drupal Development ( http://www.drupalbook.com ).  It's sort of important
> when googling around for drupal stuff that you mind the date of what you're
> reading.  This is a little out of date now but perhaps interesting to you:
> http://archivemati.ca/2006/01/21/drupal-as-a-mvc-framework/

I didn't want to pipe up because I (may) already have a reputation as
the "Drupal guy" on thelist, but I of course wouldn't even consider
building my own CMS because with Drupal the basics are done and I can
add virtually any functionality I want via custom module code using
the Drupal API, not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the
features I might want are of course already available. And of course
Drupal is 100% theme-able, so the look can be whatever I want.

My 2 pence.

Fred