[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Fri Sep 19 02:11:12 CDT 2008

<D1FD0505-529E-40F6-B917-A5757CFA1C36 at easyweb.co.uk>
<48D1CAA8.10804 at seastorm.com>
<2d59a5a30809172123q754ca100ua324c019fd04bb69 at mail.gmail.com>
<2506fbd50809182344x7060454ep966eb39a2b864887 at mail.gmail.com> <177c0a10809182356w749b1acav690214640414788c at mail.gmail.com>

> I didn't want to pipe up because I (may) already have a reputation as
> the "Drupal guy" on thelist, but I of course wouldn't even consider
> building my own CMS because with Drupal the basics are done and I can
> add virtually any functionality I want via custom module code using
> the Drupal API, not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the
> features I might want are of course already available. And of course
> Drupal is 100% theme-able, so the look can be whatever I want.

Fred, you're not the only Drupal guy here. I use Drupal for everything,
even my blogs, and I can't agree with you more.

A web development company that I used to work for a few years ago is now
using Drupal for all their sites, and finding it FAR more rewarding than
using their own in-house developed CMS. Drupal delivers faster and better
than anything they could do. They are doing pretty much what that other
company is doing, charging a set rate for a site with a certain set of
features.

I strongly recommend anyone who is looking at CMSes to do a decent
evaluation of Drupal.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/