[thelist] iPhone (browser) detection

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Sep 28 18:35:48 CDT 2008

Hi Benjamin,

I didn't say "not working," but "not the same"... I meant elements and
events.. I realize this isn't a full user test, but for *me*, WIDE form
elements (for example) can hinder usability on iPhone, when they are no
problem on a desk top.

There is no "click and drag" or "drag and drop" on an iPhone, so any
event that has that type of behavior requires instead user to perform a
(IMO less intuitive) "click to click" action. ("tap to tap," is more
accurate).

I am all for device-independence, and that seems relatively cut-and-dry
with HTML. But when Javascript comes into play, it all seems less clear
to me. I'd love to see summaries of user tests on iPhones with different
types of elements and actions, especially those associated w/ popular
Javascript libraries.

Erika