[thelist] Getting version control into the office for the first time

Zachary Kent zachary.kent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:37:14 CDT 2008

+

> Big snafu for folks getting started with svn: renaming files using the OS
> instead of svn's "rename" tool.  dear god, DONT DO IT!

++!!

Also remember to use SVN to delete a file from the working copy
instead of just deleting it using Windows file manager.  Otherwise,
SVN assumes that the local copy is simply missing and throws an error
or replaces the file during a future update.  Also, nothing is ever
completely deleted if it was checked into the repository in a past
revision.