[thelist] pesky mail problem

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 30 22:10:08 CDT 2008

One of my clients switched from cbeyond to another provider and just
like that lost email notifications coming from their ecommerce site.
The site is hosted by rackforce.  I have access to the plesk panel and
shell access to the site.   I ought to be able to do command line mail
be doing:

mail bobm at dottedi.biz <cr>  etc...

This fails with no obvious error; I tried doing mail -v to see a verbose
output but apparently wrong argument.

I also made up a very simple php file which when accessed should send me
a test message.  It also fails, something like:

<?php
$message = "Email body/contents";
$subject = "Test of php email script";
$to = "bobm at dottedi.biz";
$from = "From: admin at wherever.com";
mail ($to, $subject, $body, $from);
?>

No dice of course.  Finally within zen-cart itself I found the
configuration item for the mail server which was originally set to
"mail.west.cbeyond.com" and changed it to: "smtp.integra.net" and the
dice remain silent.

What are some UNIX/Linux command line tests I can do to determine the
root cause?  As I have access to Plesk, is there anything in the control
panel that needs to be changed that might still be referencing cbeyond?

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!