[thelist] CMS and other acronyms

Christie Mason CMason at ManagersForum.com
Sun Oct 5 18:05:44 CDT 2008

I agree with many of the comments that "content" was being "managed" for a
long time before it was called "content management".  To clarify "common
usage" I think of it as being the point where an article or posting on a
forum could type in "CMS" w/o adding "Content Management System".  It may be
that it's still not a term that's in common usage because I can think of
several web design forums where it would still be necessary to type in
"Content Management System"  My target audience for this presentation is SMB
execs and web developers.

To my way of thinking eCommerce was the first dynamic web content
management, but it wasn't called that, and then most sites on the web were
static until blogging became common.  I suspect that internal
sites/intranets that had budgets and tech talent to support implementations
of Vignette and that size app were doing "CMS" long before the SMB crowd but
that doesn't make the term "common".

Searching around on eWeek.com and InfoWorld.com shows a lot of articles
mentioning CMS on/after 2004.   I don't know if that's because that's when
they started posting more articles online or it may indicate the point where
CMS started to go mainstream.

According to Google 2001 (http://www.google.com/search2001.html)  CMS was
not in common use to indicate a Content Management System.  On page 2 there
is a link to a Perl based system to "share documents". On page 6 there is a
link to cms-list that was apparently abandoned in 2004.

Christie Mason
For Martin - It's my understanding that LMS began as Learner Management as
in managing quiz/test results,  and there are still some that reference LCMS
and CMS with various definitions and overlap.  I've always found it best to
type out any references to anything eLearning related because their acronyms
are undefined and mean one thing to one group and something else to another
group.