[thelist] CMS and other acronyms

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Oct 5 20:53:01 CDT 2008

CMS is technically an abbreviation.  FWIW.

About a block from my house is an elementary school.  On the big
board/marquee in front of the school, for several days, there was a date
for "VB tryouts."  I drove past the sign every day thinking.  "oh.
Visual Basic tryouts... wait... that can't be right..."  -- after about
4 or 5 days my ADD-addled brain eventually realized VB stands for
VOLLYBALL... in that particular context.  Perhaps.

Re: CMS.  I've been using "CMS" for "content management system" (on the
web) since at least 2000.  I *know* I was using that term when I landed
my first job supporting a CMS that year.  However, I did not... and
still do not... expect non-web people to understand the abbreviation, so
I at first take pains to use the entire TWP (three-word-phrase... I
totally just made that one up).

BTW,  excessive use of TLAs is akin to overusing jargon, and IMO should
be avoided around "general" audiences, unless your goal is just to
confuse and/or make people feel stupid.   YMMV.

HTH,

Erika

<tip type="TLAs" author="Erika">
Google is your friend.  It's likely to give three different answers for
every three-letter-abbreviation -- but you can use context to make an
educated guess.
</tip>

PS Will: CMS plural = CMI. 'Cause it makes no sense, but it sounds
sufficiently obtuse and vaguely Latinate.  LOL.