[thelist] Moving to ASP.Net

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 13:32:59 CDT 2008

> Hi Everyone -
>
> I am starting to take the plunge and move from Classic ASP to
> ASP.Net.   The
> documents that I am learning from talk about using MS SQL
> Server 2005/2008.
> We are currently using MS SQL Server 2000.
>
> My question is - is it a problem running .NET using SQL
> Server 2000?  (I'm not sure if I can talk them into upgrading.)

You should be fine using SQL Server 2000 with .NET without any problems.

> If we did upgrade to the newer version, what kind of pains
> can I expect with the sites that we have now?

When upgrading sites from 2000 to 2005, I only stumbled on one annoying
"gotcha". In 2000 it was possible to specify an "ORDER BY" clause in the
definition of a view. In 2005 it's still syntactically legal but it no
longer has any effect on the order in which results are returned. This
is a good thing, for reasons of semantics and efficiency, but I did have
to rewrite one or two things as a result.

I'm sure there may be others, though, which everyone will now rush to
tell you about!

Jason