[thelist] Moving to ASP.Net

Christie Mason CMason at ManagersForum.com
Wed Oct 8 15:25:04 CDT 2008

I'm not a DBA, database administrator, but here's a quick couple of benefits
that I noticed when moving from 2000 to 2005.

Less coding, faster response
If your sites use calculations, you should check out the new capability to
design computed columns so they persist - Example Column "oTotal"  can be
automatically calculated as "oQty * oPrice" and you can then sum, count, etc
"oTotal" w/o recalculating each time, or writing insert/update code to do
the calculation.  These columns can now also be indexed.

PIVOT/Crosstabs is also improved, though still not what I expected it to be.

Christie Mason