[thelist] hiding email addresses

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Sun Oct 12 12:11:36 CDT 2008

Martin Burns sat us on his knee and advised:

> if an email address is published online,
> it *will* be open to spam.

I had that problem where somebody thought it would be a good idea to put my email in messages on several USENET groups.  My spam filters block 99% of it at the door.  The problem... even legitimate mail is being blocked.  I tried to get a new key for a software package I own... my old PC died and I reinstalled it, not realizing that the key is based on the hardware.  I went to the key gen and it sent it to my email but I never saw it.  And I can't seem to redirect to another email, so I may have to shell out money for a new license.

Even indirectly... the spammers win...

--
The generation that took acid to escape reality is now taking antacid to deal with reality
http://blog.dwacon.com