[thelist] front end design: liquid design

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Oct 20 11:28:03 CDT 2008

I am not a front end designer except when I have no choice.

That being said, I tend to try for semi-liquid designs that provide
minimums and maximums for elements that are more fluid (such as text).

However, I'm finding that it is becoming increasingly less relevant
because of a change in browser behavior. Older browsers increased the
font size when you told it to increase the font size, which had the
potential to screw up fixed-width layouts and cause usability issues
with designs that specified text in absolute rather than relative
sizes.

More recently I'm seeing a trend to zooming or magnifying a page. In
FF3,  you can choose to zoom the page (default) or zoom just the text.
By default then it will scale the whole design, not just the text.

Under that paradigm it becomes easier for a user to scale your design,
even fixed width, to the size that "works" for them on their monitor.

Judah