[thelist] best practice for setting up web based subscriptions

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Thu Oct 23 19:04:35 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I have set up a subscription service on a website using authorize.net, and
people can pay for a year, or pay by the month, which most people are
choosing to do. Authorize.net allows a subscription to run for maximum of
three years. I am currently setting up a cron job to let users know their
membership is about to expire. My question is, what do people expect will
happen when they sign up for a subscription? Do they expect that they have
to renew every year or that it will expire only when they cancel their
subscription? I know some website make you resign and some run out and you
have to renew every year.

My client has had me set it up so their membership lasts for the full three
years, but I think it will be weird then for our users to find out 3 years
later, if they stay that long, that their membership has expired. Their
credits will probably expire before that anyway!

If we assume their membership goes on forever, then I guess I create a cron
job that renews the subscription automatically with authnet....

Is this off topic? If so, here is a tip.
<tip>Reece Calendar on sourceforge.net is a really easy to use fully
functioning calendar that can be integrated into a blog, or on any web page.
You can find it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/reececalendar</tip>

Thanks
Nan