[thelist] front end design: liquid design

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Thu Oct 30 07:58:04 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 21:59:50 Felix Miata wrote:
> I don't know what you mean. High DPI is an environment. Properly designed
> user agents simply use whatever DPI everything else in that environment
> uses.
>
> 1-On a modern Mac, DPI is locked at an assumed 96, regardless what the real
> DPI is.
> 2-On Windoz, the traditional default is an assumed DPI, regardless what the
> real DPI is,

It is not an assumption, the W3C calls as a reference the 96dpi figure:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#pixel-units

If the pixel density of the output device is very different from that of a
typical computer display, the user agent should rescale pixel values.

Which the smaller screens/user-agents (such as an iPhone) set with a higher px
density do, and quite well too (imho). IOW, use px, ems, or % - they are all
relative units.

It is recommended that the reference pixel be the visual angle of one pixel on
a device with a pixel density of 96dpi and a distance from the reader of an
arm's length.

Beating a dead horse though methinks, just couldn't resist one more crack at
it though, lol...
--
cheers,

	Mark