[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Nov 11 09:22:27 CST 2008

Erika wrote:
> On the other hand, if it is you or your girlfriend who will be doing all
> the site updates, I think 100 pages can be managed reasonably well with
> HTML, CSS and server side includes, especially if your directories are
> well-structured.  I built and managed a 50+ page site, without includes.
> The only thing that was difficult about it was maintaining the menus
> (and includes would have solved that).

Sometimes the best method to answer my question is to try it out a
little bit. I was worrying menus could be one of the biggest problem
(menus = navigation) and now what? After I try it a bit, it is a worry.
It's difficult to highlight the current level in the navigation bar with
static design.

The old school method to highlight current page in navigation is:
1) include the navigation bar from SSI.
2) use something like this in CSS:
#about_us .nav .about_us { /* highlight it here*/...

This method seems apply with difficulty for highlighting current level.
See my article I wrote about this issue just now:
http://www.zhangweiwu.name/081111.html

I still couldn't find a way to simplify it, but maybe the wisdom on this
group helps...