[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Nov 11 22:34:52 CST 2008

Brian Cummiskey wrote:
> I think that at the end of the day, while it *can* be done, it's
> probably not prudent to do so.
>
> SSI's only take you so far.
>
> Even something as simple as displaying the current date/time needs to
> step outside of html/css and into a server language or a scripting language.

Why do you think the next step beyond SSI/CSS/XHTML is not to use CMS,
but to learn a scripting language? I sense you are a web-dev for that
reason.

The final question: is it really mandatory to learn program to work out
most small-mid web projects? (because big web projects is our company's
main business with many web-devs in it, she wouldn't get them as a
web-design freelancer, and if she gets a 1000-page project, naturally
she forward it to us. I think likely 150-page is biggest project she can
get.)