[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:13:47 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:

> The final question: is it really mandatory to learn program to work out
> most small-mid web projects?

I think, respectfully, the problem is mis-stated.

Can you create a small-to-mid-size web site that meets 21st-century
user expectations without programming but with an incredible amount
of tedious, ongoing, manual effort? You betcha. Well, sort of. OK, not
really -- it's still going to be 199x brochureware. Bargain rack at the
discount web store.

Can you cut out a lot of that effort, be more productive, and provide
real value to your clients by learning -- or outsourcing -- some *very*
simple programming? Yes.

I developed my first -- actually, the first -- dynamic web site in 1995
because it just made sense for so many reasons. I've never found a
situation since that made a static-site model any more attractive, or
less work.

As always, YMMV.  :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com