[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Nov 13 08:06:51 CST 2008

Whatever solution you choose:

1) If you are having trouble getting SSI to work correctly, it could be
your webhost provider, as some only work with shtml files, I think
probably simple apache configuration.

2) I learned recently that I could add the following line to my
.htaccess file to get .html files to work like .php files:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

I investigated this because #1 was the case on a client's site.

3) If you are an advent of table-less design, then take a very deep
breath if Contribute enters the conversation.  Table-less design and
Contribute don't respect one another.  Also to note, Contribute does not
shake hands glowingly with PHP include files. Rolling eyeballs beware.

4) If you choose to go with any CMS or CMS-clone system that results in
new file names then it is vital that you set up redirects in your
.htaccess file, otherwise the site could lose years' worth of built up
search engine rankings.  A simple redirect looks like

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule layouts.php
index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=264

with layouts.php as the old filename and
index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=264 an example
filename known in Joomla.  I'll be going through this process with
prit-near 100 files next week with a site I'm converting.  Otherwise be
prepared to sit across the table in month or two with some flagrantly
frowning future x-clients - who blog and use twitter.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!