[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Nov 13 08:42:17 CST 2008

I did a solid business site using nothing but HTML, CSS, and SSI.
This was a while back.  I took an existing site that was basically
something a graphic designer had shoved through Dreamweaver (whatever
pops out the other end must be a web site).  Going from six-deep
nested tables to full CSS design cut the site's size in half, and made
things much more consistent from page to page. :)  I used Server-Side
Includes for the menus, footer, and such.  I even chained series of
SSI to make breadcrumbs.

It works.  The site is still in use today.  Because I was very, VERY
consistent in my coding page-to-page, if there is a site-wide change
to make I can frequently do it using grep.  Minor page changes are
very easy because the markup is so lean and clean.

That all being said -- if I were to do it today, I would probably use
PHP.  There are things I would have liked to be able to do since the
site went up that would require PHP and templating.  So... the site is
great to work with and works perfectly as originally intended, but by
not using templates and PHP, I limited my future possibilities.

To start out, for the non-coder, you could just use include() as you
otherwise would use SSI, and beyond that stick to basic HTML/CSS.
Down the road though, the fact that it's PHP will leave your options
open.

Stephen