[thelist] mp3 player for website?

Pieter Roosens pieter at roosensdesign.com
Sat Nov 15 03:16:08 CST 2008

Op 15-nov-08, om 05:29 heeft Shawn K. Quinn het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 13:14 -0800, Erika wrote:
>> Client would like a nice-looking, user-friendly mp3 player to
>> integrate into a website, to play her songs without allowing
>> them to be downloaded.
>
> In order for it to be played, it *has* to be downloaded, one way or
> another.
>
> Playing, recording, and copying are really the same operation; all of
> them involve taking source material and writing it to a
> destination. If
> nothing else, there's always a stereo cassette recorder (or another
> computer!) hooked to the line-out jack.
>
> --
> Shawn K. Quinn

You are right, but at the same time some copyrights organisations
(like ascap, etc.) sometimes allow you to "play" the song on your web
site, but not to make it available for download. I know it's not
strictly different, but when the visitor sees a button that says
"download", you kind of ask them to download.
There the difference is in the "offer".
You can steal a cd in a shop but when there is a label on it that
says "for free", it's not stealing anymore when you take it.

Pieter